Pregnancy is an amazing experience for women that gives a sense of completeness to her. However, it brings with it, certain effects on the body including hair. Most women find that their hair is thicker and fuller when they are pregnant rather than lose hair during pregnancy.

However some women experience excessive Hair Loss after the child birth, but not during the pregnancy though. Studies indicate that approximately 40 to 50 percent of pregnant women experience hair loss, but the good news is that, it is temporary.

Why do women loose hair during pregnancy?

Your hair grows in a cycle with 90% in growth phase and the remaining 10% in resting phase at any given point of time. The latter phase is followed by replacement with new strands of hair at regular intervals.

This phenomenon is slightly altered in pregnant women an increased number of hairs go into the resting phase as part of the normal hair loss cycle. This condition is not serious enough to cause bald spots or permanent Hair Loss, and it should begin to diminish within 3-4 months after delivery.

Does it affect all pregnant women?

During pregnancy there are increased levels of estrogen in the body that freeze hair in the growing or resting phase of the hair cycle, which would normally fall out as part of the normal cycle. This makes your hair look thicker and fuller.

Post child birth, the estrogen levels decline, resulting in hair fall. Hormonal imbalance causes the hair to fall and this can differ with individuals, based on the extent of imbalance created.

Also the excessive release of progesterone hormone can cause dryness, leading to splits in hair strands. This causes hair breakage and loss of hair in pregnant women.

Other reasons that cause hair fall during pregnancy are:
  • Anaemia (iron deficiency)
  • Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), a hormonal imbalance that causes a woman’s ovaries to produce excessive hormones
  • Discontinuing birth control pills
  • An abortion, miscarriage, or stillbirth
  • Hypothyroidism, a condition that thyroid hormone in the body
  • Medication, or illness like gestational diabetes etc.
Control over hair fall during pregnancy

Regular oiling and maintaining a healthy diet is the best way to control hair fall. Consume food rich in zinc, biotin, vitamins B, C and E. Further, meditation also helps to relax yourself and reduce stress which is one of the major causes of hair fall, not only during pregnancy but otherwise too. Also, avoid wet combing, hair styling and chemical based shampoos.

Rootz Hair Clinic

Unable to control hair loss despite following the recommended guidelines? Make a quick appointment with an expert dermatologist at Rootz Hair Clinic and find yourself excellent hair rejuvenation solutions during pregnancy.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *